Thursday, February 28, 2008

You Can't Take the Boy Out of Backstreet

When I decided to attend the backstreet boys concert on saturday night, I was all geared up for some good old fashioned boy band cheese. Instead to my horror, I was pulled right out of my fond pre-pubescent memories and thrown head first into an alternate universe - where, over Benny Benassi's 'Satisfaction', Nick Carter is bashing the shit out of his electronic drum kit and asking me if I am ready rave...disturbingly enough, I'm not kidding.

If you go to a boyband concert there are certain things you expect;

Choerographed moves? - Check.

Young girls screaming their tits off? -Check.

The band samplying Daft Punk? - What the Fuck !?


In an obvious attempt to break out of their cheesy mould, the night was filled with quite a few of those jaw dropping moments, where I thought 'Hang on...where am I again?" Throughout the show I reasoned that I had two options, I could stalk out of Rod Laver in disgust, or I could take it for what it was and have a good time. So yes, when the boys broke into a slightly remixed version of Backstreets Back, and told me to wave my hands in the air like I just didn't care - I did just that.

Obviously the show was not what I had expected, but at the end of the day I am not the same person I was 10 years ago, and neither are they. Of course part of me wanted them to be the same bowl cutted, finger clicking, baby faced little boys that I adored so much when I was younger, but like everyone- they grew up. And with growth and change comes the sad fact of life that you're unable to fufill the expectations of the same people anymore. But what we need to remember, is at the end of the day you'll always have fans - whether they are clinging to your past, appreciating you at present, or waiting for you in the future.


So BSB, as fans of your past I salute you...And Daft Punk aside they still thankfully did pull out the cheese; matching leather jackets and enough nasal 'oooo baby's' to fufill any young girls fantasy - Reminding me that there's a little bit of our past in all of us -

I still paid to see the backstreet boys after all :)


.

No comments: