Monday, April 27, 2009

The Stretch



I remember reading an interview with Jamie Durie a few years ago, where he quoted his life motto as “Bite off more than you can chew and chew like hell” Forgetting these words of advice came from an ex Manpower member, I knew he was on to something. Just like any muscle in our bodies, our minds need to be stretched too; to step out of comfort zones, do things that are scary and surround ourselves with people that challenge us. I have been actively chasing these types of stretches for the past few years with many of my experiences revolving around pushing my boundaries and my fears - but lately I've started to question whether there is more to growth than pain.

Getting a massage off a friend the other day she asked me to tell her when the pressure was too much. As she kneaded and kneaded into my pain it came to a point where she could literally not go any deeper unless she wanted to rip open my flesh! She commented in suprise at how much pressure I could take, so I decided to let her work on me more softly for awhile. To my amazement I had a powerful and painless experience and a new realisation hit me - although I could handle whatever pain I was subjected to, whether that was what I always 'kneaded' was another thing.

“There is a duck inside you
Her bill is never still, searching through dry
And wet alike, like a rover in an empty house
Cramming objects in his sack, pearls, chickpeas,
Anything. Always thinking “There’s no time!
I won’t get another chance!”


If we spend all our time delving below the surface, looking for meaning, challenges and growth - we will never get to taste the fruits of our labor and all the goodies we have collected in our search! I think there needs to be a balance of diving into the depths of our selves and bopping in bliss on the surface and that life doesn’t have to always be an uncomfortable stretch on the rack. To have someone tell you that you’re amazing is just as vital and necessary as having someone make you question yourself. So although I will always be an advocate for facing your fears and going deep into the challenge of life – there is also beauty and importance in appreciating and loving who you are right now and letting yourself experience that softness too. To allow ourselves to feel the pain in order to get out those knots, but also give ourselves time to digest and be nutured.

Pain and pleasure are just as important as each other and there needs to be a balance of both when it comes to personal growth. Maybe you've been playing it safe in your comfortable bubble for a bit too long now, and a stretch is exactly what you need. But maybe like me you need to get off the rack and have a fucking hug!

Deep down we all know what is best for us. So take a moment now to ask yourself,

What do you NEED right now to GROW?


.

No comments: